Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rapture vs. Voicemail Light - What's More Terrifying?

Everyday I drive past one of the Rapture billboards and since we are coming up on it this Saturday, we might as well cover all the bases.  However, I do have one honest question:  today, like right now, when you are at work, what causes you more stress, preparing for the Rapture or when you walk into your cube/office/cell and see that red light on your office phone?  I'm going to go over the possibilities of each.


First up, the dreaded work voicemail.  Honestly, I have never received a message at work that was good news or benefited me professionally or personally.  Literally, every message I get means more work or someone bitching about something I did (or didn't do).  If I walk into my office in the morning and that red light is on, honestly, that's a terrible start to the day and I literally do anything else possible to put off listening to that message.  I also travel a good amount for work, and when I am out of the office I NEVER check my voicemail.  I don't even know how to because there is some convoluted way to get to our messages.  Some obscene combination of numbers and symbols to get there.  I know I hate voicemails, so why bother listening to them from the road when I know I can't do anything about it, and just stress myself out further?


Honestly, there's not much we can do about it, right?  I mean, at this point you're either in or you're out I guess.  I can see being nervous or anxious, but at least you won't have more work to do right?  I guess if anything you can do less.  I go to work now so I can pay bills.  Post-Rapture, I might work for a couple more weeks so I can buy some guns and sit on my front porch.  That's what I picture myself doing for the Apocalypse.  Maybe have some people over, make sure to have some dry ice (it's going to be hot) for the cooler, and some shotguns to ward off the zombies.  For some reason I always picture myself somehow transforming into a Ninja/Navy Seal in a post-Apocalyptic movie.  Just kicking ass, saving hot chicks and puppies, and having tons of awesome one-liners.  Say I'm roaming the bombed out country side in my non-anti-semitic Mad Max mobile and I come upon a super market.  My dog and I (always have to have a dog) go in to stock up on supplies and in the bakery section I see some zombie dude about to eat a really hot chick, and I kill him before he finishes the job.  Then, I say:  "That's the way the cookie crumbles."  That would be awesome.  

So, I guess Rapture wins in being less terrifying than a voicemail because in this scenario I become awesome and don't have to go into an office, versus still having to go to work and being pissed off.  

-Big Ran

PS:  This may be the official Rapture music video.  First of all, the band is "The Rapture."  Second of all, the song is pretty tight.  Third, what better way to go through the Rapture than a roller skating party.  I think we may have an official Rapture activity.

KC Jones thinks that few things are more terrifying than the red voicemail light on her office phone. She's actually avoiding checking hers as we speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment