Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Irrational Rant...Office Birthday Parties



Why?  Why does my office celebrate people's birthdays?  As a little background, my office, once upon a time, celebrated every single person's birthday with a separate gathering, cake, lighting of candles, and singing of "Happy Birthday."  No joke, the whole shabangabang.  There are probably 20 people in my department, so one to two times a month we would go through this excruciatingly awkward process.  Now, we just do one birthday per month, but people are responsible for signing up to make a cake for a certain month.  Fucking brutal.

The scene from Office Space, which I cannot find anywhere online, absolutely nails the pain of this celebration perfectly.  Some people that are WAY too excited for a birthday, the cake that get's passed ALL the way around the room, the sad and pathetic rendition of "Happy Birthday."  It's all brutal.

In all honesty, I don't like most people; mostly because a lot of people are irritating and/or dumb.  I do not want to celebrate the anniversary of you slip 'n sliding out of your mother's birth canal.  Also, I'm 31 years old. I don't want to have people sing to me and have to blow out candles on the day that reminds me I have done nothing with my life other than find awesome stuff on the internet.

Unfortunately, I couldn't embed this video, perhaps because the creator actually takes this seriously.  However, this original co-worker birthday song is SENSATIONAL on every level.

Happy Birthday, Co-Worker!

-Big Ran

KC Jones says: I also detest when I get a birthday card from a large group of people and see that someone has signed it in their native language, generally, that involves symbols of some sort. I have NO idea what this is really saying and it could be telling me to go F myself....and that's fine, but could they say it in English?  I also agree w/ Big Ran, I dislike most people as well. And the more birthdays I celebrate, the greater number of people I will dislike. BOOM!

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Also, birthday lunches are even more painful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my birthday month someone made a coconut cake. I f-ing hate coconut.

    -Big Ran

    ReplyDelete
  3. They least they could do was ask what your favorite cake is...How inconsiderate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about when people you're asked to sign a care for someone you don't even KNOW? That's pretty sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or when people sign your card in a different language or throw some symbols on there?? Like wtf??

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to get to the card early before all the good birthday messages are used up.

    Big Ran

    ReplyDelete