Sunday, August 7, 2011

Office Etiquette...Bring Your Children To Work Day(s)

Everyone has heard of "Bring Your Child To Work Day". Many companies have this event on an annual basis, it's advertised, and people know it's going to happen. Like it or not, it's understandable and it can sometimes be fun and one of those days where nothing gets done. Some people's kids are awesome, cute and funny and full of personality. I look forward to seeing some of my cowokers' children. However, some people's kids just suck. They are obnoxious, THINK that they're cute, and are super annoying. Unfortunately for the general public, these children are the ones whose parents allow them to roam free and annoy everyone in the general vicinity.

Ok, so I can cope with something like "Bring Your Child To Work Day" because I have to pick and choose my battles. The purpose of this post is to address the people who choose to institute their own 'bring your child to work' days randomly and when it's convenient to them. 

I've been in the working world for half of my life, and in an office setting for 10 years. I can't stand when I hear the pitter patter of sick children in the cubes or offices around me. I'm sorry, but if your child is sick, it is YOUR responsibility, as a parent, to stay home and take care of them. First of all, how unfair is it to the child to make them spend their day in a cube when they are sick and should be in bed? Secondly, none of us are that important (except in our own minds), that we can't take a sick day. Contrary to certain people's beliefs, the company WILL continue to exist in their absence. And honestly, if your job really is that critical, you aren't going to be able to bring your child into your P.O.E anyway. Third, sick days and personal days are available for a reason. And finally, how about consideration for others? Last time I checked I work in a Corporate Office, NOT in a Pediatrician's Office.




My other issue related to this topic is this: Why is this behavior acceptable for people who work in offices? This wouldn't be tolerated in the fields of medicine, law, education, or retail, for example. Could you picture a lawyer showing up for court with their child in tow? Or a doctor coming into the exam room and greeting you along with their child.What a double standard!

I don't feel like being at work in the first place, so I shouldn't have to sit there listening  to a sick child hacking away, blowing their nose, and/or whining. Little Timmy and Jane are gross anyways, as little kids can often be. Miniature, mobile germ factories. This is how the Swine Flu and SARS are spread and also why we can't have anything nice.

The moral of the story is this: Office Etiquette is being violated when sick children are being brought to a P.O.E. Proper Office Etiquette Dictates only one of the two following solutions:


1. Stay home with your sick child.
2. Have someone come and stay with your sick child.


 *For a good time, go to Google and search Images for "Sick Children".....How does the following picture factor into this? Maybe Google THOUGHT I meant, "Children Who Make Us Sick"---damn you autocorrect!

-KC Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment