Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Irrational Rant...Ride Wit' Me....

Just a brief rant, as Big Ran and I have decided to let loose this week in anticipation of St. Patrick's Day:

Exercise sucks, the gym sucks, and being the laziest person in the world, I'm amazed that I am able to maintain a solid and consistent workout routine. However, I was particularly amazed the other day when I noticed that some of the stationary bikes are designed to be kind of like video games. This infuriated me as I felt like the designers of these machines think the average person is dumb enough to truly believe that riding a stationary bike could ever be fun! I stared at the bikes as I was on the treadmill and noticed the following messages scroll across the screen:


"Ride With Your Friends"- Um, anyone old enough to use the gym knows that their friends are not inside the bike waiting to pop onto the screen and ride with them. And, when I'm with my friends, good times typically don't include leisurely bike rides. (Unless of course you were involved with the making of Queen's "Bicycle Ride" video---honestly, WTF? I almost lost focus on the true point of this post after getting sidetracked by this mess!)




"Catch the Ghost" - Is it Halloween? Why would I be in hot pursuit of a ghost? If the developers of this game changed it to having the ghost chase ME, and, more importantly, if said ghost was real, it would probably help me to pedal faster. Again, I'm way too smart for that. Fail.

"Catch the Red Dragon" -Angry dragon, what? I'm a grown ass adult, first off, I know there are no such thing as dragons. Secondly, if there really WERE dragons, why would I be CHASING something that breathes fire and could kill me?  Finally, it's not even Chinese New Year, so I don't know why they are trying to involve dragons in this mess in the first place.

What I also enjoy is that there are points involved. If you 'catch' the dragon, you can get 500 points. They are redeemable for nothing and unless you have really low self-esteem, I can't imagine how catching the virtual dragon will make you feel a sense of accomplishment at all. I, however, cannot speak from personal experience because I have never tried and never, ever will.

That is all.


-KC Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment