Monday, May 9, 2011

I Love My Commute!


All-in-all, I have a pretty easy commute.  It's 45 to 50 minutes, but no highways, and its pretty consistent.  Does that mean it is devoid of demented people?  Absolutely not!  There was a time, years ago, where I would get all fired up and pissed off about traffic and terrible drivers, and probably flip everyone off.  Now, mostly for my own sanity, I've made my peace with traffic and now if someone is a terrible drive, I just hope to irritate the shit out of them whenever possible.  

Let's take this morning as an example.  A classic move today as a woman decides she needs to be in the right lane at the last second on a busy road and just comes on over.  No signal, I honk because I really do not want her to hit me, she keeps on coming, then flips me off for honking at her.  I love that move, the "I am driving recklessly AND I'm going to flip you off anyway" move.  Now its on and I refuse to flip her off, that's a rookie move (also, you never know when you are flipping off an ex-Marine and that never goes over well, no matter how they are driving, trust me).  So I do a few exaggerated shrugs and she's yelling and flipping me off at this point.  Then, I start laughing hysterically, which pisses her off even more, so I start blowing her kisses and am rocking an exaggerated, smarmy smile.  She keeps looking in her rear view mirror and almost nails the car in front of her at a stop.  I keep laughing, pointing, blowing kisses and she is clearly distracted until she abruptly gets off that road while looking in her rear view.  I made her do that.  I win, sucka.  Good start to the day.

So, make it a game.  Don't get yourself all worked up when you can amuse yourself AND piss someone else off beyond belief.

For KC Jones, her favorite commuting song:


-Big Ran

Update:  A little history of the middle finger (from Wikipedia)

In Western culture, the finger (as in giving someone the finger), also known as the middle finger, the highway salute, the Bronx salute, the one-finger salute, the bird(as in giving, flipping, or flying the bird), flipping off someone, or (in Canada) the Trudeau salute is an obscene hand gesture, often meaning the phrase "fuck you" or "up yours". It is performed by showing the back of a closed hand that has only the middle finger extended upwards.

It is identified as the digitus impudicus (impudent finger) in Ancient Roman writings[1] and reference is made to using the finger in ancient Greek comedy to insult another person. The widespread usage of the finger in many cultures is likely due to the geographical influence of the Roman Empire and Greco-Roman civilization. Another possible origin of thisgesture can be found in the first-century Mediterranean world, where extending the digitus impudicus was one of many methods used to divert the ever-present threat of the evil eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment